If you wish to procure Digital Signature, you can do so from TaxSpanner for just Rs. 599. This price does not include the price of hardware token which must be separately procured.
If you efile your tax return without digital signatures, then you have to post/mail one-page efiling acknowledgment (ITR-V) at the income tax PO Box. If you efile your IT return along with your digital signature, then you do not need to deposit ITR-V. Email email@example.com to procure DSC.
Do you need to buy Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)?
- Not necessarily. You can e-file your return without DSC. E-filing without Digital Signature is also equally convenient.
- To procure DSC, you need to submit attested documents such as ID proofs and application forms, and presently, there is no other use of DSC other than signing your e-return. So, there is limited utility of DSC at present.
- The Income Tax Department has made the ITR-V deposit process very convenient for the assessees. Hence, DSC has even limited usage since it is only issued for validity of 1 or 2 yrs.
Procedure to procure DSC
After login, once you make the payment for DSC, you will instantly receive an email with the instructions. To get the DSC, you will have to fill the DSC application form and also have to provide the attested copies of the identification proofs. The DSC would be issued after the receipt and proper verification of all the documents.
Documents required to procure DSC
A. Attested copy of any one: passport, driving license, voters id, PAN card, PF statement, ration card
B. Attested copy as address proof of any one: latest telephone bill, latest electricity bill, LIC receipt (if LIC policy taken by applicant), documentary proof of professional membership (ICAI, ICSI, ICWAI)
C. Latest photograph
D. Filled Class 2 DSC Form – will be attached with the email. Ensure that you have signed on page 1 and 2 of the form. On the first page, cross sign your photograph. Ignore page 3 and 4 of the form.
Note: Attestation may be by a bank manager of a nationalized or private bank (excluding cooperative banks), public notary, class I gazetted officer or company secretary
Note: In case the address on application is same as on document submitted under A (as above) then the document mentioned in B is not required
- Download your electronic return (XML file) from TaxSpanner and save it on your computer.
- Upload the saved XML file on Income Tax department website (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in).
- If you have DSC (Digital Signature Certificate), attach DSC along with your XML file.
- If you already have a username/password on Income Tax department website, login using that. Else, create your login using your name, date of birth and PAN.
- You will receive one-page acknowledgment of your e-filing (named ITR-V) in your email.
- If you attached your DSC with the e-return, simply save your ITR-V. You do not need to do anything else.
- If you did not attach your DSC with the e-return, then you have to sign and post/mail one copy of ITR-V to the income tax PO Box.