Looking for something?
none none
PAN is must to eFile Income Tax Return
Posted on  
July 25, 2011

Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten digit alphanumeric number. It is issued in the form of a laminated card (called PAN Card), by the Income Tax department.

PAN Card: Key Points to Remember

  • You must have a PAN to file your income tax return.
  • You don’t need to necessarily file a return just because you have a PAN. You need to file income tax return only if your gross total income is above the exemption limit.

However, it is very important that you fill the same details as mentioned in your PAN Card while filing your income tax return. Hence, make sure that you enter your Name, Date of Birth, and Father’s Name as it is specified on your PAN card to avoid rejection of your return by the income tax department. You can verify your PAN at this link https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/knowpan.do.

When you need a PAN Card

You need to quote the PAN when you make transactions like:

  • Sale/purchase of car for any amount.
  • Time deposit exceeding Rs. 50,000.
  • Sale/purchase of security (such as shares, mutual funds) exceeding Rs. 1 lakh.
  • Application for phone connection.
  • Payment in cash for bank draft or pay order exceeding Rs. 50,000 in a day.

Incorrectly quoting a PAN will make you liable for a penalty of Rs. 10,000. PAN is your personal identity. Don't disclose it unless required. Keep a laminated photocopy of PAN card for use & keep the original PAN card at a secure place. It is a good practice to keep your PAN Card handy while filing income tax return.

About the author
Sudhir Kaushik has been a practicing tax consultant for the last 17 years. He is a Fellow Chartered Accountant and conducts seminars in large companies to help salaried employees with income tax and investment queries. Sudhir brings domain knowledge of income tax laws and their compliance difficulties faced by individuals. He is the author of Income Tax Handbook For Salaried Employees for smart financial planning and investments for salaried people. He enjoys an excellent reputation and has a strong network in the corporate sector and public sector undertakings.
Related posts
Tax Changes FY 2013-14: Mismatch of TDS amount

In case you have a mismatch of TDS amount, you can get its benefit if you visit the assessing officer on your own instead of ...

Tax Changes FY 2013-14: A house abroad, more returns

According to recent judgments, anyone purchasing a property outside India is still eligible to avail deduction under section 54F. This is subject to the purchase ...

Tax Changes FY 2013-14: Property investment equals more deduction

On the basis of various judgments, it was held that relief under section 54 cannot be denied to assessee if the capital gain amount is ...

Tax Changes FY 2013-14: Contribution to health schemes

Earlier no deduction was available under section 80D for the contribution made in other health schemes offered by the central and state government which were ...

Tax Changes FY 2013-14: Life insurance premium deductions

At present section 80C allows deduction on life insurance premium paid only when premium paid is less than 10% of the sum assured. However, said ...